Whiplash is an injury that occurs when your head and neck are rapidly forced in one direction and then another, similar to a whip. This injury is very painful and can cause a variety of symptoms. Fortunately, our professionals at Idaho Chiropractic Group in Boise can treat the condition and the symptoms associated with whiplash.
The Causes of Whiplash
Car accidents are the most common cause of whiplash. If you are in a rear-end collision, the force of the vehicle hitting the vehicle you are in will force your head back and forth suddenly. Whiplash can also occur during a physical assault if you are punched in the face or shaken violently. Finally, whiplash is common in athletes who play contact sports such as football and hockey.
The Symptoms of Whiplash
In some cases, the symptoms of whiplash occur immediately, and in other cases, it can take hours or even days. The symptoms of whiplash include:
- Neck pain
- Neck stiffness
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Headaches that begin at the base of the skull
- Numbness and tingling in the arms
- Pain in the shoulders, arms, or upper back
In serious cases, you can also experience:
- Blurry vision
- Trouble sleeping
- Memory issues
- Ringing in the ears
- Trouble concentrating
Whiplash can be diagnosed during a physical exam. Our chiropractors will want to know the circumstances that led to your injury. Next, we will perform a physical exam where we will test the following:
- The motion that causes you the most pain.
- The range of motion in your shoulders and neck.
- The amount of tenderness in your neck, back, or shoulders.
- The strength and sensation in your limbs.
- Your reflexes
Our doctor may order imaging tests such as x-rays, a CT scan, or an MRI. Whiplash will not show up on these tests, but they are useful in ruling out other injuries.
Treatment for Whiplash
If you want a long-term solution for whiplash, chiropractic care is an excellent option. There are several methods that our chiropractors will use to treat whiplash. These treatments will help reduce your pain and improve your range of motion. The treatment methods include:
- Spinal manipulation to put any misaligned joints back into place.
- Muscle stimulation and relaxation to help stretch the muscles.
- Trigger point therapy
- Ultrasound therapy to stimulate the neck muscles that are injured.
Whiplash Treatment in Boise, ID
If you are suffering from a car accident injury or an assault and are experiencing whiplash symptoms, contact Idaho Chiropractic Group. Our chiropractors will create a treatment plan to help relieve your pain and your other symptoms. You should start feeling some relief after your first appointment. Call us today at (208) 343-6900 to schedule a consultation with one of our chiropractors.